Hi, it’s Gabrielle from Savvy Home here again! I think we can safely blame my beach house cravings on the fact that I’ve just spent three wonderful weeks at the beach. These days, I’m all about homes filled with light, rattan and seagrass, fouta towels and painted lobster buoys. I obsess over cedar shingles and blue hydrangeas.
That being said, I’m not a fan of the overly typical nautical look. So by beach house, I certainly don’t mean blue and white stripes all over and seaside memorabilia. Just as I like my traditional décor “with a twist”, I enjoy my beach-inspired décor with an edge. I found that perfect “twist” in Sid Bergamin‘s global beachy Brazilian home.
1. Use stripes sparingly. A striped flat weave rug with wide uneven stripes is a nice variation on the theme.
2. Paint your floors white. It seems drastic but just think of how much light will be reflecting off of them.
3. If your neighbours aren’t an issue, leave your windows bare or try a soft linen roman shade to let light in.
4. Mix and match items like lamps in similar shades and balance blue and white items with other brights.
5. A beach house is made to relax and unwind. Make sure you’ve got plenty of throws and pillows to go around.
6. Include artefacts from your travels to break up the nautical clichés, and still keep the space casual.
7. Keep your decor versatile and adaptable with ottomans doubling as side tables.
8. Include nods to country décor in a non-traditional way, like by upholstering a chair in a vintage quilt.
9. Keep stacks of coffee table books around: they’re great to flick through on a lazy afternoon.
10. Rummage through antique shops for vintage oil paintings to decorate your walls inexpensively.
See you next week!