Hi, it’s Gabrielle from Savvy Home here again! I know even mentioning the word “winter” this time of year when we’re standing on the cusp of cooler seasons is a major turn off. Bear with me because, wouldn’t we all like to achieve a house that’s perfectly cozy in the winter, yet fresh and beachy in the summer?
I feel like this living room, created by Design Development in a stately art deco building on Manhattan’s Upper West Side, would transition seamlessly from season to season. Don’t you? From warm summer days filled with lazy naps and lemonades, all the way to chilly winter days when the best way to warm up is with a warm throw and a cup of cocoa, I feel like I’d be perfectly at ease in this inviting room.
1. Lamp shades in warm colours make a room seem more inviting. Why use white when you can use hot pink?
2. Walls in barely there purple hues work equally well in both seasons: light in summer and moody in winter.
3. Accents of icy blues and whites will reflect sunny ski days in one season and blue oceans in the other.
4. Fluffy flokati rugs are the ultimate comfort in the winter time. Why even wear slippers?
5. Create a transitional gallery wall mixing abstract and figurative oil paintings.
6. Beach scenes will remind you of warm summers even when it’s cold outside.
7. A white linen sofa is the perfect transitional piece.
8. Golden hues (if used sparingly) will warm the room all year long.
9. Fresh flowers always brighten up a room. Choose your flowers according to the seasons.
10. Have a large coffee table to accommodate anything from fresh snacks and drinks to family board games.
See you next week!0