Hi, it’s Gabrielle from Savvy Home here again! When planning for kitchen renovations, it’s sometimes hard to know where to splurge or where to save. The truth is that while some items are worth splurging on, a few little tricks can save you money.
Jeffrey Alan Marks is one of my favorite interior designers, and I just adore this simple all white kitchen he did in a Malibu shingle house. It looks elegant and expensive, but it’s also inherently simple and non-fussy. We could all learn a few tricks from the Million Dollar Decorator himself.
1. Cooking requires great lighting, but downlights are really overused and not very original. Instead, look for one or two oversized vintage or antique looking pendants.
2. No need to spend thousands on a flashy oven hood. Simply have it covered and integrated into the design.
3. Ideally your cabinets should go up to the ceiling but if it’s vaulted, just finish them off with crown molding.
4. Keep the space visually open (and the budget low!) with open shelving. Keep it tidy with all white dinnerware.
5. If there’s one thing you should splurge on, it’s countertops and backsplash. White Carrara marble is the best but other classic options include butcher block countertops and subway tile backsplash.
6. Antique kitchen mixers always look more elegant than their modern counterparts. It’s also worth a splurge.
7. If you’re designing a custom island, include a small alcove to stow away bar stools.
8. For cabinetry, go for classic shaker style. Cup pulls are always a good match. You can mix metals in your kitchen but make sure they repeat in at least two different places.
9. If your home has hardwood floors, extend them to the kitchen. A dark stain is great in an all white kitchen.
10. Layer a couple of flat weave rugs to separate and define the breakfast area.
See you next week!0