Another year, another set of brand spanking new resolutions. Do you know of the definition of insanity? You know the fact of repeating the same mistakes over and over again and keep expecting a different result? Well, New Year resolutions have come to be just that in the past for me. It would take me only a few days to see them fade away and my old habits come right back. But this year, I’ll try something new… really! Instead of making resolutions to change a behaviour, I’ll try resolutions to alter, improve or increase behaviours I already show (even if only on a seldom basis). Allow me to demonstrate…
1) Drink more water and less wine. It’s good for my health & my waistline.
2) Nutella is not a food group (It definitely should be but that’s another debate).
3) Find the time to exercise more… running after my kids is not cutting it anymore
4) Wear eye contour cream (I am closer to 40 than I am to 30… so it is about time I start taking care of myself)
5) Close my phone after 8pm at night to enjoy some quality family time. Really really close it. No peeking.
6) Become a treasure house of memories for my children
7) Get organized
8) Do it now
9) Do something for someone else, every day
10) Find my inner Yoda towards my kids when my patience has left the building
I can honestly say that 1, 2 & 3 have gone out the window by January 15th, so has 5, but I have been pretty good with 4 (if I have the energy to actually remove my makeup before bed then I’ll put on the eye cream) and I have been really good with 6, 8 & 9 which, I discovered, keep bringing me immense joy everyday! Now for 7 & 10, it depends… I am organized in my mess and sometimes, when my patience is the size of a teeny-tiny pea, then I find a place to rest a moment and to gather my thoughts (that place having been more often than not in the shower, but hey whatever works right?)
Now onto 2014’s resolutions
1) This year I will simplify… simply
2) This year I will do what I love & love what I do… all of the time
3) This year I will hone my personal style … once & for all!
4) This year I will be present … and not just between 6am & 8am, holidays, evenings and odd weekends. All the time, body & soul
5) This year we will create adventure… everyday, whether in our backyard, chasing pirates at the cottage, or in an urban jungle somewhere. Adventures make children happy and create unforgettable memories.
That’s it, that’s all. No excuses, no master plan, just a few tweaks to the canvas that is my life.
2014… here I come baby!
Have a great year lovelies, I hope to keep having you around this year & don’t be shy, leave me comments on how you plan to spend your year and what resolutions you’ve made, who knows you might inspire someone.