Hi all, it’s Gabrielle from Savvy Home here again! There’s no denying that the classic style, when well executed, harbours tried and true styling secrets and a handful of crucial proportions. After all, proportions play a more important role in interiors than one might think.
Classic doesn’t mean a space should look stuffy and outdated. Enter the neo-traditional style: classic proportions, traditional comfort with an updated twist. Chloe Warner achieved this look particularly well in a client’s San Francisco home. Complemented with a feminine touch, the elegant dining room adopts a fresh modern look with classic proportions of the past.
1. The perfect size for a dining room rug is about 6″ away from each wall.
2. Choose a soft color for the walls and a strong complementary neutral for the ceiling. Paint it in high gloss.
3. For your windows, opt for a simple bamboo shade and floor-length curtains hung away from window frames.
4. Your chandelier should hang 30-36″ above the dining room table.
5. Wall sconces don’t only look great, they make dining room lighting much more intimate.
6. Showcase your artwork with art lighting, it will become the center of attention and engage conversation.
7. If your walls feel empty and you can’t afford large scale art, frame some wallpaper: it’s inexpensive and chic.
8. When the only place for a console is in front of a window, make sure its lines are thin and unobtrusive.
9. Mix a traditional table with more modern chairs, like the famous mid-century wishbone chairs.
10. Add visual impact and scale with a fully grown ficus lyrata (commonly called a fiddle leaf fig tree).
See you next week!0