Hi, it’s Gabrielle from Savvy Home here again! When I first laid eyes on this home, I was smitten. It was the perfect balance between elegant and youthful. After more careful consideration, I realized that perhaps what I admired even more, was how well the rooms seemed to complement each other.
It took me straight back to an episode of Sarah’s House (season 4) where she designs a home in a very similar layout and has to be conscious of making the rooms flow from one to the other seamlessly. I figured there really is an art to creating rooms that work well together, without necessarily looking the same.
1. Keep the walls and moldings in the same color – a neutral warm white is an ideal backdrop.
2. Forget about tile in the entrance or carpet in the living room. Keep the same floors throughout the house.
3. Separate the different living areas with area rugs in warm neutral colors.
4. Use chandeliers or pendants in different styles from one room to the other, but keep in the same materials.
5. Add pattern and color in the smaller areas like the entrance with wallpapers or even better, murals.
6. Repeat the colors from your wallpaper or mural in the next room in pillows and accent furniture.
7. Keep the large furniture like sofas and chairs neutral. Ivory is always a great option.
8. Repeat patterns in furniture layout. If you have two side tables in one room, use two benches in the next.
9. If the patterns you’re using in your wallpaper or fabrics have a certain vibe, repeat it in accent furniture.
10. Have at least one pattern repeating from one room to the next.
See you next week!0